[pm-h] Novice Hangout

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Mon Nov 4 20:07:20 PST 2013

The Novice/Beginner Hangout was a qualified success. There were a few
technical difficulties. We had 7 people altogether show up. It turned
into mostly a social meeting with a little bit of discussion. Topics we
hit included:

  1. Devel::hdb
  2. Moose
  3. Reverse Geo-coding
  4. Yubikeys
  5. Sharing a DBD connection among multiple threads or processes
  6. Changing the port for DBD::Oracle
  7. Cats
  8. DPS and name changes

We learned about some technical difficulties when working with Google
Hangouts. Probably the most important point is that it is important to
test before you join a hangout. Most of the problems fell into a
handful of areas.

  1. Not having sound input and output configured correctly.
  2. Bandwidth issues
  3. Not having installed the hangouts plugin ahead of time.

Despite these issues, things worked pretty well toward the end. We
verified that screen sharing works okay if you have the font large
enough. We also verified that reconnection works if you drop out for
bandwidth or other technical issues.

Based on what we learned this time, we probably need to have a couple
more attempts with more and different people to work out more issues.

Who knows what email lurks in the hearts of men?