[pm-h] Contributions to Perl modules

Michael R. Davis mrdvt92 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 12:11:35 PDT 2013

> That is not to say that code you write on _your_ time in a contract situation is automatically
> "owned" by your customer. I believe it's yours unless specifically transferred in some sort of
> formalized agreement.  I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

For contractors, unless specified in the contract take the "photo" analogy.

You ask someone to take a photo of you at Disney World.  If you hand them your camera, then you own the copyright to the photo not the person taking the photo.  When they take a picture with their camera then they own the copyright.  So, for contractors that are "on site" the "site" owns the code.  For contractors who are "off site" on their own computers they own the code unless specified in the contract.  Watch out for "ssh" and which computer you are actually "writing" code on; it makes a BIG deal and has never been tested in courts.  My guess is that if any computer in the string is not yours, you are in the gray territory.

> who are "off site" on their own computers

This always bothered me about Government contracting as contractors that are "off site" actually get higher rates because that have to pay for their own computers.  But, they charge the government by the hour for code written by the hour and then they own the copyright!  That's fleecing America.

Thanks,
Mike