[pm-h] Contributions to Perl modules

Michael R. Davis mrdvt92 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 09:40:53 PDT 2013

Perl Folks,
> I got into a conversation about contributing to Perl modules.

Before you contribute something to CPAN, please ensure that "YOU" own the copyright.  Most employers actually own the copyright on "anything" you write based on the documentation that you signed when you were hired. Hey you wanted the job. right?  My company's agreement is that anything that I write on my time on my own computer is my copyright, otherwise it's theirs.

Drag out those intellectual property agreements!

For you Federal Employees post away.  Anything you Feds write on your time is yours.  Anything you "work" on during your "core" hours is typically public domain (FOUO and classified are exceptions).  So, it's best to upload a stub to CPAN at night under your copyright then down load that stub and add public domain content to it during the public dollar time.
Thanks,
Mike

http://search.cpan.org/~mrdvt/