[pm-h] Perl 5.16.0 Released

B. Estrade estrabd at gmail.com
Mon May 21 21:23:03 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Mark Allen <mrallen1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This being Slashdot, of course the discussion had to revolve around about
> the status of Perl 6, why Perl is dead anyway, and how superior programming
> language X is to Perl.

Perl 6's biggest problem is that it's called Perl 6. It's not Perl and It
should have been called something else. That it's not is a huge problem. I
think Perl 5's next major version number really needs to be Perl 7. Maybe
call Perl 6 something like purlsicks or something of the like.

The perl "utility" evolved directly as a result of the Unix ecosystem upon
which it was born; I don't even like calling Perl a language (it's a
utility that has a very rich scripting interface), and pretending that it
is a formalizable language (which is what Perl 6 attempts) is a big reason
why people think it's a failed project.  Perl has a lot of problems, most
of it legacy baggage, but there is nothing else out there that gives Unix a
better scripting interface.  No other "language" is as tightly tied to Unix
as Perl; any other that you mention is meant to be a language not a tool
like Perl.  It's easy for the likes of Python and Ruby, for example, to
ignore their host OS's principles so thoroughly - not Perl for better or
worse (I say better).

At the very least, it's been a rich source of ideas for Perl 5 and I do
hope it develops into its own feature and stable platform. It will never
replace Perl 5, though.

> Typical Slashdot comment fare.  But it's nice someone submitted the story
> and it was posted.

Isn't Slashdot a Perl app? :)

Brett