[pm-h] madness, genius or confusion?

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Wed Mar 14 15:04:20 PDT 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:44:13 -0500
Bryan Rivera <brivera001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen something like the code snippet below? I came
> across this and figured I was just missing something. Why would you
> want to 'use lib' inside an eval inside a BEGIN block? I think it's
> all kinds of wrong.
>
> BEGIN {
>     eval "{ use lib '/usr/prod/xxx/xxx/perl/lib/'; }";
> }

The only reason I can think of is pretty unrealistic.

This construct would protect against the lib.pm module failing and
still execute at compile time.

I would think that if you expected 'lib' to fail to load, there would
not be much else you could do. So, I can't see a legitimate reason to
do it.

But, someone obviously thought there was a reason...

The man who says he is willing to meet you halfway is usually a poor
judge of distance.                             -- Laurence J. Peter