[pm-h] Fw: Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--July22

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sun Jul 22 11:24:57 PDT 2012

Announcement from O'Reilly

Begin forwarded message:

View this information as HTML in your browser, click here:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zm8lqgal1oscus9890fu07e90kvj4gsji70jrgl8

Hello,

We've got something special for you this week: We're proud to announce
the publication of a free new Radar Report. 'Data Jujitsu: The Art of
Turning Data into Product' is authored by DJ Patil. A founding
scientist at LinkedIn where his team pioneered the "People You Know"
feature, Patil coined the term "data scientist" and has since been
instrumental in establishing and codifying the profession. The new
Radar Report offers invaluable information for you and your colleagues.

Download your copy now:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlio20cbfhnvnm4b3mkr4bmhgh2okb1c9avascqg

--Marsee Henon & Jon Johns

Available for Review

The UG team is looking for book reviewers for the following books.
Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, and/or
your blog.

Data Jujitsu: The Art of Turning Data into Product
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0qjfvogqh2kk8po3vsei5e7m3en18m5gm14f4go

Photoshop CS6 Unlocked,
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfmo0vl4r8m6j0u7o7qrbpu93dpu179dekqts5bg

2nd Edition Learning Rails 3
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zcpm6iu7vjah1i9splsi0bjehg7jgoshdb5vc4n8

It's easy for you to request books for your meetings or special
events—just email usergroups at oreilly.com and include the words "book
request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your deadline and
shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free ebook
certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

New Releases

Photoshop CS6 Unlocked, 2nd Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4ld0bfvs95314ldl8v1c6k2a5anbhhgovbpcaag

Exploring Everyday Things with R and Ruby
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z55nd5u2o6f9m053c22dsdgk4m4adstsdn0c92oo

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Analysis Services: The BISM Tabular Model
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd92cel9cb8tims5damr2esmbekdvv1so2ok3gjg

Mobile JavaScript Application Development
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbkcc5kc7hjtrrkkvv83c89d6e6pej5mno2dct00

Training Kit (Exam 70-462):
Administering Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Databases
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbmkel8tlrbhn56mcedc7uqddm6ttrudvj34htg0

Windows PowerShell for Developers
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp0r90vr9gjsqjvrpfolh3b0pcibrjdg6bbtbil0

Economic Impact of Open Source on Small Business: A Case Study

Written by O'Reilly editors Roger Magoulas, Mike Hendrickson, and Tim
O'Reilly, our new Radar Report, 'Economic Impact of Open Source on Small
Business,' is a must-read. It's also free.
Download it now:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpklu4hldmg4sra1tgrurs8bfgnr18hoeor5b7vg

Northeast PHP Conference (Boston, August 11-12)

Tickets for the Northeast PHP conference in Boston are now on sale. Join
over 300 expert web developers, entrepreneurs, and designers from all
over the Northeast. Learn and share on over 40 topics on PHP, Web
Technology, and Design and UX. Each ticket includes everything you
need, including food, drinks, and t-shirts. Get your tickets today.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7cqdu5ia5b88hv5vaetd3sisnd5n00chnglc4mo

O'Reilly Animal Project Launches at OSCON 2012

Meet the "Animal Ladies." O'Reilly Media designers Edie Freedman and
Karen Montgomery discuss the impetus for the O'Reilly Animal project
and their desire to protect the endangered species that have graced our
book covers over the years. Watch this short introductory video about
the project, which debuted at the 2012 Open Source Convention in
Portland.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3bgfsmch4l0bah19j956i27vt3l3is4r6nhhn30

Making Group Buys Easier

If your group or its members use credit cards to handle transactions for
things like dues and group buys, you know it can be a pain to setup.
Over on x.com, Darren Levy writes about the 2-5% lift he got when they
integrated PayPal into his company's signup system.
Read the article:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0geoft1r0me043cb0qm0tnoqigvu0hdb6t5e6jg

Meet Experts Online: Upcoming Free Webcasts

We've got some great webcasts coming up soon that you'll want to tell
your members about. They're excellent opportunities to learn something
new directly from our experts.

Creating Modern Web Applications Utilizing HTML5 APIs
with Ido Green
July 31, 10 AM PT
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zr78qjn7qg8ig7mhn2grig12bmr2agqh6o8akk20

Debugging Heap Memory Corruptions
with Tarik Soulami
Aug 2, 10 AM PT
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkkkucv46nogskdetsabr73n9stolei1q6svuuso

An Introduction to Machine Learning for Hackers
Spt 18, 10 AM PT
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znhucifprq4t4f244ot2usfluf1tt53kgie3h41o

Put Up a Banner & Get a Free Book—UG leaders only

We're looking for groups to display our discount banners on their
websites. If you send us your group's site with one or more banners
posted, we'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice.

Choose from the following list of banners:

UG Program Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg0h1sk4s73195ccjplg9o2m7ua8fj2f1fc5ltu0

UG Discount Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze8d6g6sutsrkbkrjvuiuf2avgtm7vqmpc65lm1g

MAKE Magazine Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8jscrgtgd85u5p7dlaev5gk30kb1c6898jgrsm8

Strata + Hadoop World Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zekj8o8ba4ah6fnveju6mtj3us00jeuku5bj5pi8

Strata Conference in London
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsu9rcsj061bosiqh3d134h15v6a843kb2qq4e9g

Buy 1 Ebook, Get 1 Free with your user group discount code: DSUG2

Looking for more? Visit oreilly.com

Until next time,

Marsee Henon & Jon Johns

Forward this announcement:
http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1znt5suvt2sgvmbvv6qhvjl2rocce5jo0dudm5mmo

--
Understanding is a three-edged sword.      -- Kosh in "Deathwalker"