[pm-h] September Houston.pm Meeting: An Intro to the Qore Language for Perl Programmers

B. Estrade estrabd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 10:40:22 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 03:23:52PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> 2011/8/29 G. Wade Johnson <gwadej at anomaly.org>:
>> Brett Estrade has volunteered to make a quick presentation on the Qore
>>language.
>>The basics of the Qore language will be introduced from the perspective
>>of a Perl programmer, include basic data structures, object oriented
>>capabilities, and multi-threading. Ideas for future talks regarding
>>Qore, Perl threading/asynchronicity, and using Qore with Perl will be
>>discussed by all.
>
> http://qore.org/manual/comments/Variables.html
>
> our int $a = 1;                    # this is a global variable
> our (string $b, any $c, hash $d);  # list of global variables
>
> if ($a == 1) {
>     my int $a = 2;
>     my (string $b, any $c);
>     # $a, $b, and $c are local variables,
>     # the use of which will not affect the
>     # global variables of the same name
>     print("local a = %d\n", $a);
> }
>
> print("global a = %d\n", $a);
>
> Hey, that looks exactly like the new perl 5.18 with use types!
> Optional strong typing with perl syntax. Love it.
>
> Just the "any" type is superfluous, and hash and list are only arguably
> "better" than our @ % sigils.

I smell a lightning talk! Seriously, this would be a cool follow up
because I don't keep up with these kinds of developments in Perl.

Also relevant would be anything to do with Perl threading, AnyEvent,
Coro, etc.  I don't know that much about Perl threading, mainly
because it was when searching for a good threading solution in Perl
(for my needs) that I discovered Qore.

I asked the language developer once if Perl inspired his syntax, and
he claimed to not be that familiar with Perl. I still don't believe
that.  I do know that the language parser and runtime is written in
C++ (and is embeddable), so I am fairly certain the similarities with
Perl are on the surface only. He did tell me he used the Perl syntax
highlighting in vim for Qore, so that made me a little suspicious, too
:).

I have imagined that an inline module interfacing Perl with Qore for
the purpose of threading would be neat. I don't know the first thing
about writing an Inline module that would provide for this, but would
be interested in playing around with something like that. This is one
of the things I wanted to briefly discuss at the conclusion of the
intro talk.

Brett

B. Estrade <estrabd at gmail.com>