[pm-h] Can't Move to Linux

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Sat Aug 14 06:01:29 PDT 2010

On 2/26/2010 7:28 AM, Mike Flannigan wrote:

> I would like to get any flavor of Linux installed
> to my older-generation computer.  I have 2
> old computers:
> x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 AT/AT Compatible 130,596 KB Ram
> Intel (R) 4 CPU 1400 MHz 130,352 KB Ram
>
> I know that x86 is a Pentium 3.
>

> I have tried 2 different downloaded versions
> of the single CD install:
> Fedora 12 i686-LIVE
> I don't want a dual boot - I want a clean install.
>
> I have tried it at least 15 times.
> It boots to the disk and gets to various places
> each time.  Sometimes it freezes soon on
> the lemon icon blue screen.  Usually it gets
> past that, sometimes to the "Press 'I' to enter
> interactive startup".  It takes the 'I' I press,
> but never does anything after that.  I have
> let it run all night, but it doesn't do anything
> else.
>
> I want to make a move from Win to Linux and
> need a starting point.  Buying a new computer
> is not out-of-the-question, but I'd like to put
> that off until later if possible.
>
> I have an old Dell portable and a 64 bit Linux
> 2-yo portable I am also willing to use for this.
>
> I am open to any suggestions on what to do
> and what to use.
>

> Mike Flannigan

Now I'm trying to install Linux on a new model
HP portable computer.  In fact it is 64 bit.

I got Fedora 12 installed.  It didn't go the first
time, but did the 2nd.  Used the entire hard
drive for a clean install.  My problem is I
could not connect to the internet (or my
network).  Seems to be a common problem.
I tried hard to fix it, but never got it done.
One of many sites I used to try to fix it is:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-239096.html
I had almost the exact same problem as on
that site, but didn't get to a resolution like
she eventually did.

Then I tried Ubuntu.  It got past English language,
but then just hung at Install Ubuntu.

If anybody has any other Linux recommendations,
please let me know.  Looks like I'm headed back
to Windows and I'm not happy about that.

My portable is an HP Pavilion dv9830US notebook PC
that was running 64 bit Vista with relatively good
success, but it was a bit slow.

Mike