[pm-h] Perl Mongers meeting times

Todd Rinaldo toddr at null.net
Mon Jun 29 09:09:51 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Haufler, Wayne
A<Wayne.A.Haufler at boeing.com> wrote:
> I think you'd see a big jump in attendance (including mine) if you
> opened it up to virtual attendance, that is, setup a Webex session or
> some such.  I brought this up before and I understand there are
> challenges, but there are also more tools and services (web-based) that
> provide for this (GoToMeeting.com?).  I'd think most of us may even be
> willing to pay a modest club dues to pay for this.
>
> Advantages include gas money savings and drive time savings
>
> Disadvantages include less natural / more awkward conversations, less
> face-to-face networking (though those with webcams might could use
> them).  Ok, I think there was a show-stopper or two when I brought this
> up last, but I forget, and am too lazy to look it up right now.
>
> Of course, virtual meetings might drastically reduce the number of
> physical attendees.
>
> Thanks,
> ------------------------------
> -- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
> Wayne A. Haufler

Wayne,

I think one big item would be who's going to spring for the
equipment/services. What do you propose?

Also I think we should explore what this would be like. Are we just
talking someone watching a talk? If so, there are many out there
already, recorded at YAPC, etc. If you're looking for live chat,
there's irc.perl.org or perlmonks. I guess as I talk this out, my
feeling is that the meeting has immensely less value if it's not in
person.

This is just my 2 cents and I'm still willing to give it a try just
the same. But I think these are some of the questions we should ask as
we try it.

Todd