[pm-h] Virtual Meeting attempt

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Jul 9 20:01:05 PDT 2009

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:38:16 -0600
Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at att.net> wrote:

> G. Wade Johnson wrote:
> > Another member had suggested freeconferencecall.com, but I didn't
> > pursue it too far, because of the long-distance number issue.
> >
> > I guess I should ask: would people be willing to use a long-distance
> > number for the audio portion (at least for this experiment), or
> > would a long distance call stop you from joining us?
> >
> > G. Wade
> >

> If it's 6 cents per minute (I'm not sure it is) -
> so ~$3.60 per hr, I might do it a few times.
> Call me cheap, but I'd probably work very
> hard to find a cheaper way to get it done.
> I'm still wondering if a chain of conference
> calls would work.  I suspect the sound
> quality would not be good enough.

I would never call you cheap.<grin/> My main thought is to the barrier
to joining on on the meeting as low as possible. I see a long distance
call as a barrier (I just don't know how big a barrier).

> I'm looking forward to making this happen,
> since I want to use it for other clubs too,
> but I suspect the real hassle is going to be
> for the people at the meeting that need to
> run all this stuff.

There is a limit to what we can do at the meeting location, of course.
But that's the point of the experiment, to see if it is "worth the
hassle".

> I'm optimistic that we will get this done
> someday.  A little less optimistic we will
> get it done within 4 months.

4 months? I'm aiming for an experiment next week.<grin/>

Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming
                                                  -- Brian Kernighan