[pm-h] Perl Mongers meeting times

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sun Jul 5 19:28:31 PDT 2009

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:25:48 -0600
Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at att.net> wrote:

> G. Wade Johnson wrote:
> > It looks like WebEx is $59 per month, with no support for Linux.
> >
> > I remember trying to use WebEx on Windows at a previous employer
> > without much success. I don't know how it is now.

[snip]

> > Does anyone have any experience with any meeting or screen sharing
> > software that is really cross platform?
> >
> > G. Wade
> >

> Agreed.
>
> I was going to try Ekiga (Was GnomeMeeting) an
> hour ago, but they quickly confused me with
> 3 different file choices that I didn't know which
> one to get (I'm on Windows).  Maybe I am
> supposed to get Microsoft NetMeeting - I'm
> not sure.
>
> I have another club I want to do this for.  Does
> anybody have a recommendation on what video
> camera to get to do these teleconferences?
> This other club has a ton of money and maybe I
> can talk them into it.  I sure would like to hear the
> experience of others doing this.  What do I need
> to output the camera data to the internet?
>
> I feel like I'm back in the Dark Ages.  I can't
> believe this is so rarely done.

Ekiga and Skype both seem to have support for video conferencing, but
no support (that I could find) for screen sharing. I guess with a good
webcam and the "screen to share" projected somewhere, this might not be
a problem.

I've had some contact with other PM groups and they seem to be mostly
face-to-face type meetings. I know there are people from a few other
groups on the list. Maybe some of them will chime in with some other
experiences.

I have been doing on-line meeting with the SVG Interest Group over the
last few months and we normally do chat and either conference call
through W3C or Skype. No screen sharing or video. But the nature of the
meetings are very different. We can get away with sending a few URLs
for anything we need to share.

The only thing I've done that is similar to what we've been talking
about required special hardware and connected together 2-4 conference
rooms. A more interactive session with 5+ locations was not an option.

Personally, I'm willing to try to get this set up. But I'm unwilling to
ask people to spend $50-$60 dollars per month/meeting on some service.
Especially if it locks out some of our participants due to operating
system.

Sorry for the long message. But, I would like to figure this one out.
We seem more spread out than many of the other groups and that has
limited the meeting attendances for as long as I've been part of the
group.

Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked
something.