[pm-h] Programmer Editors (was 'January Meeting')

Todd Rinaldo toddr at null.net
Sun Jan 4 15:24:31 PST 2009

> What editor do you use for Perl (or any) programming?
>
> 1. vi (or variants)
Too unintuitive but always available. I don't consider that a good
reason to become an expert or re-wire my brain to properly use it.

> 2. Emacs (or variants)
My default UNIX editor. Only a few critical commands are obscure. The
rest are as expected. Has syntax hilighting and indentation help, but
these don't always work consistently and can be difficult to install
without root.

> 3. Eclipse
Offers live code analysis (tells me when I miss a semi-colon, etc.)
Sometimes a little slow on large code bases. Also offers remote
editing via FTP plugin. It's pretty much a java app, so it's a little
slow and awkward sometimes.

> 4. Komodo
Many of the features I like are available here, but I find Komodo slow
to come up and somewhat buggy. Not to mention the expen$ive price for
the app. 1 thing I've never found a replacement for in Komodo is it's
regex debugger tool. Makes complex regex analysis much easier.

> 5. Visual Studio
Not Perl friendly to my knowledge.

> 6. Notepad
Stop talkin crazy. *grin*

> 7. TextMate
No.

8. Crimson Editor
Free. Fast (windows native exe). Easy to use. Allows remote editing
(via FTP). Syntax hilighting. Easy to get on a PC in a pinch.

9. Notetab
Freebie windows app. Has some neat search and replace (via regex)
features I find indispensable sometimes. Often I can do data
translation faster in it than cranking out code.