[pm-h] Potential SVG Hackathon

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Sun Feb 8 04:56:04 PST 2009

G. Wade Johnson wrote:
> The SVG Interest Group is considering helping to coordinate with
> programming groups to do some form of SVG hackathon. The idea would be
> to help with any project using SVG and to help familiarize group
> members with this image format.
>
> Would any of you be interested in such an event if one were available
> in the Houston area?
>
> G. Wade

I didn't know what SVG was, so I looked it up:

SVG, or Scalable Vector Graphics, is an open W3C standard for graphics
on the web. "Vector graphics" means that SVG images are made up of
lines, curves and other "smooth" elements, unlike "bitmap" formats such
as GIF, JPEG or PNG. When you zoom in on a GIF, JPEG or PNG, it gets
grainy and blocky - but when you zoom in on an SVG, it stays smooth.

Reportedly like Flash.

It's often used for GIS/Mapping applications, which I
am interested in.  I'd like to hear what is happening
on a high level, so maybe I'll join the Interest Group.

Mike