[pm-h] Help building Shortcut; Need make.exe for PC

Haufler, Wayne A Wayne.A.Haufler at boeing.com
Tue Sep 23 13:36:01 PDT 2008

I have been trying to write a short Perl script on a PC (ActivePerl)
that would replace duplicate copies of huge video files with Shortcuts
to the corresponding original video files.  To do this, I need and
acquired the Win32::Shortcut module from CPAN.

The Shortcut's README file claims "You can always find the latest
version of this package online at:
http://www.divinf.it/dada/perl/shortcut

But that dada directory does not appear to exist.

In Win32-Shortcut-0.07\docs\intro.html

		Installation Instructions
1.	Run the INSTALL.BAT program.
2.	Run the TEST.PL script to see if everything works

Whereas, the only two files in the eg directory are: ln32.bat and
sample.pl.

Anyway, somewhere I found build instructions involving make.
Shortcut does come with a Makefile and a Makefile.pl.
I understand Makefile.pl is used with ExtUtils:MakeMaker to generate the
Makefile.

I'm familiar with make in the Unix world (years ago), but
can't seem to acquire any form of make program for the PC world.

I do have Cygwin installed (though not the entire package),
but no version of make.exe or gmake.exe is found there.

Must I reinstall the WHOLE Cygwin package? to get make.exe?

Also am aware of minGW and MSYS and tried to install them for their
(supposed) version of make, but keep running into obstacles.

I know, I should ask the Perl::Win32::users list (or similar).

Wayne A. Haufler
Senior Software Engineer (SE)
In Space Shuttle Program (SSP)
Backup Flight System (BFS)
Displays & Controls Requirements Analyst
Boeing, NASA Systems, Houston
Voice: 	281-226-8626 , Cubicle: 5475
E-mail: wayne.a.haufler at boeing.com
Boeing Toastmaster (Club 4908):  VP Education