[pm-h] Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, November 21

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Mon Nov 24 04:54:38 PST 2008

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:27:35 -0800
From: "Marsee Henon" <marsee at oreilly.com>
To: gwadej at anomaly.org
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, November 21

Hi there,

December is coming up soon and that means O'Reilly will be releasing
even more books then usual as we rush to get them out the door.
Just take a look online to see the complete list of upcoming titles.
<http://oreilly.com/store/upcoming.html>

And as usual, we're looking for readers willing to post reviews on
Amazon, Slashdot, and oreilly.com. Books we'd especially like help with
include YouTube: An Insider's Guide to Climbing the Charts, Using
Drupal, Head First Physics, Head First Statistics, Getting Started with
Arduino, Enterprise Rails, Learning XNA 3.0, and Coding4Fun.

Let me know if you'd like to see any of these or our other new books
and I'll get them ordered.

We're glad to annouce that we are able to offer user group members
Safari Books Online at a special discount.

Here's the deal to pass along to your members:

15% off the first 3 months of Safari Books Online for UG members.

Safari Books Online is a fully-searchable online digital library that
provides one integrated source for over 6500 expert reference and
learning materials from leading publishers. The site includes
exclusive access to the collections of O'Reilly Media, Peachpit Press,
Cisco Press, Addison-Wesley, Apress, and Manning as well as additional
titles from John Wiley and Sons and Microsoft Press.

We're offering User Group members an exclusive 15% discount on Safari
Books Online subscriptions for the first 3 months. Subscriptions must be
purchased before March 2, 2009, at
<http://safari.oreilly.com/subscribe>.

Enter coupon MMUMRFA at the time of checkout to redeem your discount.

(Offer Details: Not valid with any other offer. Coupon is good for
15% off the first 3 months of a Safari Library or Safari Bookshelf
account. Offer valid for new subscribers only.)

Travel Update:
Going to Macworld in January? So are we. Check out all our activities
and find out who'll be speaking in our booth
<http://oreilly.com/go/mw2009> or get a free expo pass. I'll be there
too so come on by and say hi.

--Marsee

O'Reilly UG Program News--Just for User Group Leaders
November 21, 2008
Put Up a Banner, Get a Free Book

We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on their
web sites. If you send me your group's site with one or more banners,
I'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from
the following list:

Tools of Change for Publishing Banners
<http://ug.oreilly.com/promote/toc/>

Emerging Technology Conference Banners
<http://ug.oreilly.com/promote/etech/>

Money:Tech Banners
<http://ug.oreilly.com/promote/moneytech/>

Customizable O'Reilly Book Widgets
<http://ug.oreilly.com/promote/bookwidgets.csp>

InsideRIA Banners
<http://ug.oreilly.com/promote/ria/>

35% off User Group Discount Banners
<http://ug.oreilly.com/promote/discount/>

35% off Digital Media User Group Banners
<http://ug.oreilly.com/promote/>

O'Reilly News for User Group Members
November 21, 2008
New Releases--Books, Short Cuts, and Rough Cuts
Get 35% off from O'Reilly, No Starch, Paraglyph, PC Publishing,
Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook, SitePoint, or YoungJin books you
purchase directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering online
or by phone 800-998-9938.
<http://www.oreilly.com/store/>

Free ground shipping on orders of $29.95 or more.
For more details, go to:
<http://www.oreilly.com/news/freeshipping_0703.html>

Did you know you can request a free book or PDF to review for your
group? Ask your group leader for more information.

For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
<http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html>

Active Directory, Fourth Edition
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596520595>

Adobe AIR 1.5 Cookbook
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596522506>

Adobe InDesign CS4 One-on-One
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521912>

Adobe Photoshop CS4 One-on-One
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521899>

Advanced Software Testing - Vol. 1 (Rocky Nook)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952192>

Algorithms in a Nutshell
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596516246>

Android Application Development: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156237>

Apache 2 Pocket Reference
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518882>

Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS, 2nd Edition
(SitePoint) <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780980455274>

Coding4Fun
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596520748>

Computer Orchestration Tips and Tricks (PC Publishing)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781906005054>

Core Animation for Mac OS X and the iPhone (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356104>

Craft: The 2nd Year (Hard Cover)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596155230>

Craft: Volume 09
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596522117>

Designing Gestural Interfaces
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518394>

Desktop GIS (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356067>

Developing Facebook Platform Applications with Rails (Pragmatic
Bookshelf)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356128>

Dreamweaver CS4: The Missing Manual
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596522926>

Enterprise Rails
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596515201>

Everything You Know About CSS is Wrong! (SitePoint)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356234>

Facebook Cookbook
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518172>

Flash CS4: The Missing Manual
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596522940>

Getting Started with Arduino
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596155513>

GREP in InDesign CS3/CS4
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156008>

Hacking VoIP (No Starch)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156008>

Head First Algebra: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156350>

Head First Rails: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156343>

iPhone Open Application Development, Second Edition
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596155193>

iPhone SDK Application Development: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156183>

iPod: The Missing Manual, Seventh Edition
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596522124>

JRuby Cookbook
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519803>

Learning C# 3.0
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521066>

Learning Rails
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518776>

Learning XNA 3.0
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521950>

LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT One-Kit Wonders (No Starch)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271886>

Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 16
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596523329>

Mastering the Nikon D300 (Rocky Nook)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952345>

MediaWiki
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519797>

Nagios, Second Edition (No Starch)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271794>

Photoshop Elements 7: The Missing Manual
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521332>

Photoshop Lightroom 2 Adventure
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521011>

Programming ASP.NET 3.5, Fourth Edition
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529567

Programming ASP.NET MVC
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529567>

Programming Entity Framework: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156190>

Programming Google App Engine: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156732>

Programming WCF Services, Second Edition
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521301>

QuickBooks 2009: The Missing Manual
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596522902>

Rails for .NET Developers (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356203>

Rails: Up and Running, Second Edition
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596522001>

Real World Haskell
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514983>

RESTful .NET
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519209>

Ruby Best Practices: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156749>

RubyCocoa (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356197>

Search Engine Optimization for Flash: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596157272>

SharePoint for Project Management
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596520144>

SQL in a Nutshell, Third Edition
<http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518844/>

Stripes (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356210>

Take Control of Back to My Mac (TidBITS)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933671468>

Take Control of MobileMe (TidBITS)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933671482>

Take Control of Permissions in Leopard (TidBITS)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933671369>

Take Control of VMware Fusion 2 (TidBITS)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933671499>

Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network (TidBITS)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933671499>

The ActionScript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596517359>

The Best of Instructables Volume I
<http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519520>

The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596154523>

The Manga Guide to Statistics (No Starch)
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271893>

The Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521936>

Universal Design for Web Applications
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518738>

Web Security Testing Cookbook
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514839>

XMPP: The Definitive Guide: Rough Cuts Version
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596157197>

YouTube: An Insider's Guide to Climbing the Charts
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521141>

MAKE Magazine Subscriptions

The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you
subscribe with this link, you'll get a free issue--one plus four
more for $34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this
great offer for UG Members: five volumes for the cost of four.
Subscribe at:
<http://www.makezine.com/go/ugsub>

Craft Magazine Subscriptions

The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you
subscribe with this link, you'll get a free issue--one plus
four more for $34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this
great offer for UG Members: five volumes for the cost of four.
Subscribe at:
<http://www.craftzine.com/go/craftug>

Upcoming Author Events
For more events, please see:
<http://events.oreilly.com/>

Stephane Faroult Presents "SQL in Depth - The Art of SQL and Refactoring
SQL Applications," Beijing--Nov 24-25, 2008

Stephane Faroult (The Art of SQL) will present a two-day seminar
organized by Oracle University.
<http://www.oracle.com/education/apac/APAC_seminars.html

Harold Davis Speaks at the Golden Gate Computer Society,
San Rafael, CA--Nov 24, 2008
The Embassy Suites Hotel, 101 McInnis Parkway

Author Harold Davis (Practical Artistry: Light & Exposure for Digital
Photographers) presents Less is More: Photography and Remembrance in the
American Holiday Tradition at the Golden Gate Computer Society weekly
meeting.
<http://www.ggcs.org/>

Nancy Duarte at the Apple Store, SoHo, New York City, NY--Nov 24, 2008
Apple Retail Store - 103 Prince Street

Join Nancy Duarte (slide:ology) who will be presenting "Telling a Visual
Story." Why are we so quick at believing that we can't draw or tell
stories well? We're in an era of history where our innovations are some
of the most exciting yet when we introduce slides into our stories, our
magnificent ideas become marginalized. Learn how to clear your head,
clean up your slides and interact in your own human way so that you and
your ideas will be remembered.
<http://www.apple.com/retail/soho/>

Java Power Tools Bootcamp in Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand--Nov
25-28, 2008 Equinox House

The Java Power Tools is back in Wellington, and so is John Ferguson
Smart, author of the popular Java Power Tools book! The Java Power Tools
bootcamp is an intense 4-day hands-on workshop covering some of the best
open source tools for Java development on the market. The course takes
you on a in-depth guided tour of some of the best open source Java
tools, showing how you can use them individually and together to write
code better and faster, and have fun while your doing it!
<http://www.wakaleo.com/training/java-power-tools-bootcamp/wellington-november-25-28>

James Kalbach on Web Navigation Design, New York, NY--Nov 25, 2008
Center for Architecture, 536 LaGuardia Place

Author James Kalbach (Designing Web Navigation) will be presenting a
day-long seminar entitled "Optimizing the User Experience of Your
Website." This Web Navigation Design Primer will address the key
questions you should ask when starting any project.
This day-long class covers principles of web navigation and methods of
navigation design with practical examples and exercises. Participants
should have some experience creating or maintaining websites and are
looking to deepen their design skills. This includes graphic designers,
web masters, usability experts, and beginning to intermediate
information architects.
<http://smartexperience.org/classes/web-navigation-design/>

Stephane Faroult Presents "SQL in Depth - The Art of SQL and Refactoring
SQL Applications", Shanghai--Nov 27-28, 2008

Stephane Faroult (The Art of SQL) will present a two-day seminar
organized by Oracle University.
<http://www.oracle.com/education/apac/APAC_seminars.html>

Stephane Faroult Presents "SQL in Depth - The Art of SQL and Refactoring
SQL Applications," Hong Kong--Dec 1-2, 2008

Stephane Faroult (The Art of SQL) will present a two-day seminar
organized by Oracle University.
<http://www.oracle.com/education/apac/APAC_seminars.html>

Marco Casario presents at MAX Europe, Milan, Italy--Dec 1-4, 2008

Marco Casario (Adobe AIR 1.5 Cookbook) will be presenting a session at
MAX Europe entitled "ActionScript 3 mash-ups for AIR projects." In this
session you'll learn how to set up your application to consume some of
the most popular web services to make your AIR desktop applications sexy
and to provide useful functionalities to end users.
<http://max.adobe.com/eu/experience/>

Webcast: Making the Case for Print on Demand--Dec 3, 2008

This is a free live event. Scheduled for approximately 90 minutes.
Publishers who dismiss the use of print-on-demand technologies as too
expensive may be missing an opportunity to better manage their
inventory, total costs and the unit costs of books sold. This session
will provide an economic rationale for more extensive use of POD
services, based upon analysis and real-world use cases.
<http://oreilly.com/pub/e/1165>

Stephane Faroult Presents "SQL in Depth - The Art of SQL and Refactoring
SQL Applications," Singapore--Dec 4-5, 2008

Stephane Faroult (The Art of SQL) will present a two-day seminar
organized by Oracle University.
<http://www.oracle.com/education/apac/APAC_seminars.html>

Webcast: Everything You Wanted to Know about Drupal but were Afraid
to Ask--Dec 5, 2008

This is a free live event. Scheduled for approximately 60 minutes.
In this live, online webcast, Drupal developers Jeff Eaton and James
Walker will guide newcomers through the nuts and bolts of Drupal's
content management system, content management framework, and community.
They'll cover the evolution of CMSes and how Drupal fits in, discuss
some of Drupal's philosophies towards concepts such as content
management and software architecture, and explain some of the
fundamentals about Drupal's extensible APIs. Finally, they will muse
about Drupal's thriving community and how best to leverage and
participate within it.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/e/1175>

Harold Davis at Blackoak Books, Berkeley, CA--Dec 6, 2008
Black Oak Books, 1491 Shattuck Ave

Harold Davis reads from "100 Views of the Golden Gate" and "Practical
Artistry: Light & Exposure for Digital Photographers", signs books,
shows his photographic prints, and discusses digital photography.
Presentation accompanies an exhbition of Harold Davis works.
<http://www.blackoakbooks.com/>

John Papa at VSLive, Dallas, TX--Dec 8-8, 2008

Author John Papa (Data Services with Silverlight 2) will be presenting a
session on Data Binding, WCF, and RESTful Services with Silverlight 2 at
VSLive.
<http://vslive.com/2008/dallas>

Using Drupal Authors at "Do it With Drupal," New Orleans, LA
--Dec 10-12, 2008
New Orleans Marriott Hotel

Come see presentations by Jeff Robbins, Angela Byron, Addison Berry,
Jeff Eaton, Nate Haug, and James Walker--the authors of Using Drupal!
This large-scale, 3-day learning event will take place December 10-12,
2008 at the New Orleans Marriott Hotel, located at the edge of the
city's historic French Quarter. Attend sessions on the nuts-and-bolts of
architecting and building Drupal sites. See dissections of some of the
most popular Drupal sites out there. Learn important topics such as the
processes for building and grow successful Drupal websites. The event is
organized by Lullabot's team of experts and features some of the world's
most well-respected Drupal developers, designers, and architects.
http://www.doitwithdrupal.com/

Conferences and Special Events

Register for Money:Tech 2009, New York City, NY--February 4-6

The second edition of O'Reilly Money:Tech will be an even deeper dive
into the space where Wall Street meets Web 2.0, using technology as a
lens to provide a unique view of the most pressing issues facing the
industry right now. Web 2.0 is ultimately about "collective
intelligence"--as are financial markets. Money:Tech brings web
entrepreneurs and activists to Wall Street to foster an exchange of
ideas about new ways to leverage information.

Use code "mt09usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off
the registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
<https://en.oreilly.com/money2009/public/register>

Register for the Tools of Change for Publishing Conference 2009, New
York City, NY--February 9-11, 2009

Just a few years ago, "digital publishing" meant books were typeset in
PageMaker or Quark and sent to the offset printer as a PDF. But true
digital publishing means creating, producing, and delivering content
that may never appear on a printed page. Or more likely, will be offered
to customers in print--possibly print-on-demand--as just one of many
options. And those now doing the "publishing" include entirely new
business models built around developing paid content and assembling an
audience.
Use code "toc09usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off
the registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
<https://en.oreilly.com/toc2009/public/register>

Register for the Emerging Technology Conference 2009, San Jose,
CA--March 9-12

The theme of ETech 2009 is Living Reinvented: The Technology of
Abundance and Constraints, exploring how how emerging technologies can
bridge the gap between the worlds of material plenty and economic
constraint. Four full days of keynotes, tutorials, and sessions explore
new program areas like CityTech, Mobile & The Web, Personalized
Healthcare, and Materials & Mechanics.

Use code "et09usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off
the registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
<http://en.oreilly.com/et2009/public/register?CMP=ILC-conf_etech09&amp;ATT=UG>

Where 2.0 2009 CFP Is Open--San Jose, CA May 19-21

O'Reilly Media invites technologists and strategists, CTOs and CIOs,
technology evangelists and scouts, researchers, programmers,
geographers, researchers and academics, artists and activists, business
developers, and entrepreneurs to lead conference sessions and tutorials
at the next Where 2.0 Conference. Call for proposals closes midnight
December 2.
<http://en.oreilly.com/where2009/public/cfp/45>

Call for Participation for the O'Reilly Found: Search Acquisition
and Architecture Conference, Burlingame, CA--June 9-11

We're looking for proposals that will change how
developers create web applications so that search connects their sites
to their potential customers. Proposals are due December 17th. Now is
your chance to be part of the program.
<http://en.oreilly.com/found/public/cfp/49>

Call for Participation for Velocity 2009 is Now Open, San Jose,
CA--June 22-24

Velocity is the O'Reilly conference for developers and engineers
building at internet scale. Web companies, big and small, face the same
challenges--our pages must be fast, our infrastructure must scale up
(and down) efficiently, and our sites must be reliable without burning
out the team. Learn how to build websites and services that are fast,
scalable, efficient, and reliable. We're bringing together people from
around the world who are doing the best performance and operations work
to improve the experience of web users worldwide.
<http://conferences.oreilly.com/velocity>

Ignite
If you had five minutes on stage what would you say? What if you only
got 20 slides and they rotated automatically after 15 seconds? Around
the world geeks have been putting together Ignite nights to show their
answers.
<http://ignite.oreilly.com/>

Create your own Ignite in your area. Submit your proposal.
<http://ignite.oreilly.com/submit.html>

Or read the How To
<http://ignite.oreilly.com/faq/how-to.html>

Upcoming Ignite events:

Ignite Cardiff--12/03/2008
Soda Bar, 7/10 Mill Lane
Cardiff, UK
<http://ignite.oreilly.com/2008/10/cardiff-web-scene-together-wit.html>

Ignite UK North--1/22/2009
Old Broadcasting House, Woodhouse Lane
Leeds, UK
<http://ignite.oreilly.com/2008/10/the-first-ignite-in-the.html>

O'Reilly School of Technology
O'Reilly School of Technology Courses: UG Members Receive
a 30% Discount
O'Reilly School of Technology has opened its virtual doors with
educational offerings and certifications for IT students looking to
further their careers or to launch one. As an O'Reilly User Group
member, you save on all the courses in the following University of
Illinois Certificate Series:

-Java Programming
-PHP/SQL Programming
-Linux/Unix System Administration
-Web Programming
-Open Source Programming
-.NET Programming
-Client-Side Web Programming featuring AJAX

To redeem, use Promotion Code "ORALL1" good for a 30% discount,
in Step #2 of the enrollment process. Each course comes with a free
O'Reilly book and a 7-day money-back guarantee.

Register online:
<http://www.oreillyschool.com/?CMP=BAC-ostug>

(This discount is not combinable with other offers.)

News From O'Reilly & Beyond
---------------------
News
---------------------
Stay Competitive. Regroup, Retrain, Rebuild.

Financial markets are in a tailspin. Jobless rates are at a 7-year high.
Budgets are shrinking. The good news is that the shifting economic
landscape is creating new opportunities for those with the right skills.
Do you have what it takes to tackle tough technical problems? To offer
bold solutions? To provide businesses with the expertise they need?
<http://oreilly.com/store/stay-comp.csp>

Read some sample chapters of our latest Microsoft Books

-Programming WCF Services, 2E: Appendix A
-RESTful .NET: Chapter 6
-Data and Services With Silverlight 2: Chapter 8
-Programming Entity Framework: Chapter 3
-Coding4Fun: Chapter 1
-Learning XNA 3.0: Chapter 2
<http://www.oreilly.com/go/pdc-ineta>

Don't miss Derrick Story's Latest Screencasts
Based on his book "Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers," Derrick
covers the Quick-Start Roadmap, Photo Downloader, Collections in Bridge
and Batch Processing in ACR.

The Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2008/10/14/psc_sc01.html>

Photo Downloader: Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2008/10/23/psc_sc02.html>

Collections in Bridge: Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2008/10/29/psc_sc03.html>

Batch Processing in ACR: Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2008/11/12/psc_sc04.html>

Special Borders.com Holiday Discount

From December 2, 2008 to December 15, 2008.  Borders.com will be
offering customers a special 30% discount on all Missing Manuals (does
not include stores). If you prefer to shop at Borders.com, here's your
deal. <http://www.borders.com/online/store/Home>

Raise up Your Goblet of Rock to the Makers of Guitar Hero World Tour

In less than five years, Guitar Hero has become not only one of the most
successful video games of all time but also a pop cultural phenomenon,
immortalized on everything from South Park to Gossip Girl (Serena shreds
"Free Bird"). Read all about how the game makers create convincing
avatars of your favorite rockers, and scrapped a remarkably inaccurate
scripting program for musical notation they dubbed "Murder Face."
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2008/11/07/guitar-hero-world-tour.html>

Watch the "Twitter for Business" Webcast

Sarah Milstein's webcast on November 13 on how to use
Twitter for your business is now availble online.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/e/1162>

DIY O'Reilly Gear
Create Your Own Calendar, Shirt, Notebook, Poster...In just three easy
steps you can create one of a kind calendars, greeting cards, keychains,
luggage tags, magnets, mousepads, mugs, notebooks, postcards, posters,
shirts, hoodies, and stickers adorned with your favorite O'Reilly
animals.
<http://www.qoop.com/photobooks/photofront/pub_store.php?pub_name=oreilly>

---------------------
Blogs
-------------------
Getting Started With Drupal
<http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/11/getting-started-with-drupal.html>

Music, Interrupted and Other Feature Gripes and Hopes
<http://blogs.oreilly.com/missingmanuals/blog/2008/10/music_interrupted_and_other_fe.html>

Ajax Adept: An Interview with Fletcher Moore,contributor and technical
reviewer on Head First Ajax.
<http://www.headfirstlabs.com/hfnewsletter/mooreinterviewNov08.php>

The Commoditization of Massive Data Analysis
<http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/11/the-commoditization-of-massive.html>

Installing Rails on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (Server)
<http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/11/installing-rails-on-ubuntu-har.html>

Online Communities: The Tribalization of Business
<http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/11/online-communities-the-tribalization-of-business.html>

Juval Lowy explains Service-Orientation
<http://fyi.oreilly.com/2008/11/juval-lowy-explains-service-or.html>

Derrick Story's Recipes for Brightening a Smile and Blotting Out a
Blemish
<http://fyi.oreilly.com/2008/11/photoshop-recipes.html>

Head First Web Design Complete Sample Chapter
<http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfwd/index.php>

Retire in a Down Market? Not So Fast
<http://blogs.oreilly.com/missingmanuals/blog/2008/11/retire_in_a_down_market_not_so.html>

New Radar Report: Twitter and the Micro-Messaging Revolution
<http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/11/new-radar-report-twitter-and-t.html>

What Would Depression 2009 Look Like?
<http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/11/what-would-depression-2009-loo.html>

O'Reilly Needs an RIA Developer
<http://www.insideria.com/2008/11/oreilly-needs-an-ria-developer.html>

The Visible Hand
<http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/11/the-visible-hand.html>

The $20 gift guide at MAKE--Electronics kits for $20 and under!
<http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/11/the_20_gift_guide_at_make.html>

Relational Database Technology: A Crash Course
<http://fyi.oreilly.com/2008/11/relational-database-technology.html>

Why geeks don't like to run AV
<http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/11/why-geeks-dont-run-av.html>

For more blogs, go to:
<http://oreilly.com/blogs/>

Until next time--

Marsee Henon

O'Reilly
1005 Gravenstein Highway North
Sebastopol, CA   95472
http://ug.oreilly.com/
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/OReillyMedia

You are receiving this email because you are a User Group
contact with O'Reilly Media. If you would like to stop
receiving these newsletters or announcements from O'Reilly,
send an email to marsee at oreilly.com

The shortest distances between two puns is a straight-line.