[pm-h] May meeting

Todd Rinaldo toddr at null.net
Thu May 1 07:19:49 PDT 2008

Mike,

As far as I'm concerned, what you're doing is true Perl. Many of us do
perl at our job on a regular basis. The problems we discuss are often
about a practical implementation of perl. For instance in your case,
in addition to a presentation on what you're doing, it might be
interesting to afterwards:

1. Discuss alternative approaches to the problem. I'm sure many of us
have tackled excel with perl before
2. Discuss the "impossible" problem of auto-fit and how we might hack
it to work.
3. Discuss the bug that 24 breaks and "24" works, possibly review the
perl module and suggest a patch
4. Open document format and Excel's support for it
5. Excel's support for xml - would this support autofit?

To me, the meetings are just as great when we discuss practical
problems as they are when we discuss abstract perl.

I would look forward to hearing more about your experiences with this
module. Don't worry about the teaching part. I've presented before and
I only play a teacher on television. They didn't laugh at my
performance till I was out of the room *grin*.

Todd