[pm-h] Proposals for this and future meetings

Todd Rinaldo toddr at null.net
Sun Jun 29 15:38:55 PDT 2008

All,

I had a great time at YAPC 2008 and wanted to share some of my
experiences from the conference. This year featured more hands on, in
depth courses than previous years.

For this month's meeting, I am offering to do a hands on, where
everyone can download and build their own perl6/parrot compiler on
their own system, regardless of what it is. I am blatantly stealing
this idea from one of the sessions at YAPC. In addition, I can speak
on what I've learned about the perl6/parrot projects while I was at
YAPC.

This meeting leads nicely into my proposal for next month, which would
be a more in-depth meeting on the perl6 project, and a discussion on
how we can help the perl6/parrot projects. I met Patrick Michaud (The
Perl 6 Pumpking) at YAPC and indicated that Houston.pm might be
interested in providing contributions to the Perl 6 project. Patrick
indicated that he might be willing to travel to Houston to help us get
started in any way he can if we were interested.

Patrick suggested our greatest help might be to help get the perl6
tests organized. I think this if nothing else would be a great starter
for us to decide how we can best help the project.

Many of you on this list seem to feel you cannot participate because
of your lack of experience. I would encourage you all to attend. We're
all on this list because we all hold in common this little 'ol
language Larry and company whipped up. It has definitely saved my butt
more than once. I think regardless of experience level, there's
something all of us can do to contribute to the Perl 6 project and
give back.

Thanks,
Todd Rinaldo