[pm-h] October Houston.pm meeting

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 12:19:18 PDT 2007

On 10/4/07, Todd Rinaldo <toddr at null.net> wrote:
> Wade/Robert,
> >From a COMPLETELEY selfish stance, I'm floundering in Catalyst 'Heck'. The
> learning curve for getting DBIX::class (or is it the other way around? I
> can't remember..), going on Sybase (No open source jokes here please), and
> Just better understanding how catalyst works is holding me up. I've taken a
> look at some of the intro projects to see how to use catalyst, but have been
> disappointed in what's out there. I would love to spend time picking Mr.
> Boone's brain on this and perhaps discuss a project to create a better
> how-to for catalyst.
>
> What are your thoughts on this as a topic? Too selfish? *grin*
>         Todd

Using Sybase is probably causing a lot of additional pain on top of
the usual Cat/DBIC learning curve.  I'd suggest working through some
sample applications using MySQL or PostgreSQL first to better arm
yourself, as you will undoubtedly run into oddities and bugs with a
Sybase backend.  IIRC, the NoBindVars stuff has never quite worked
right out of the box due to Class::C3 initialization issues.  The
mailing lists and IRC channels are a big help too: