[pm-h] November meeting re-cap

Todd Rinaldo toddr at null.net
Sun Nov 18 12:24:38 PST 2007

The November meeting was as always very educational for me.

We went over 3 "bareley used" features as presented by Robert. Robert's
company heavily uses perl. Their customers oftehn have the problem of not
having the exact perl modules expected when trying to use Robert's company's
code. They therefore are taking the approach of preferring modules that come
with the perl distribution, thus assuring that the customer has the modules
out of the box.

The first one was NEXT, which is a perl builtin module to provide proper
inheritance calling for complex object structures.

The second topic was a module called overload, which will allow you to
change the behaviour of operators (+, -, ., etc.) so that you can do cool
object things like adding 4 to an object and have it have meaning. This
allows your code to be a lot more intuitive

The third topic was Attribute::Handlers. An overly simplistic explanation of
this complex topic is that it will allow your subroutines to behave
differently based on what they should return. It also provides support for
better inheritance handling.

We also re-hashed briefley some issues I had after Wade's talk on anonymous
code references. I was attempting to use anonymous code creation when inside
an object. We were able to work through the issues and I now have a sub in
an object that creates references to subroutines in the scope of the object
(phew!).

Thanks for your time and expertise as always Robert and Wade!