[pm-h] PERL Training

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Mar 22 16:46:44 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:16:24 -0500
"Berestecki, Dennis" <Dennis.Berestecki at USOncology.com> wrote:

> > Hello Houston Mongers!

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to Houston.pm.

> > I am a PERL hacker wannabe and I am looking for some
> > recommendations for beginner (and then advanced) training classes.
> > The classes don't HAVE to be in Houston, but it would help. My
> > company will probably be willing to foot the bill, but they are
> > more likely to do so if it is not TOO expensive. I don't want to
> > take classes that are useless, however, just for the sake of
> > training.

I know Stonehenge Consulting (http://www.stonehenge.com/) does
training. I also found this directory of Perl training services.
(http://www.perltraining.org/country/USA.html)

However, many of use learned Perl from "Learning Perl". The Perl
Monastery (perlmonks.org) is another good resource for answering
questions on the Perl language.

> > I am pretty much a beginner, although I have been "reading" a lot
> > about PERL, and I am fascinated by Regular Expressions. I just need
> > something to jumpstart my involvement. My primary need for PERL is
> > for scripting Tivoli Storage Manager activities, but my interests
> > are definitely beyond this niche usage.

The best book on regular expressions is definitely "Mastering Regular
Expressions".

Until you get a chance to go to training, I would definitely recommend
asking questions here or at perlmonks.org.

G. Wade

PS. One other little thing. According to the Perl FAQ, the spelling is
Perl (for the language) or perl (for the executable), but never PERL.
Despite many jokes, Perl is not an acronym.
--
Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a
system of government.