[pm-h] relocate metatags in hyperlatex-generated HTML

Russell L. Harris rlharris at oplink.net
Sun Feb 11 17:55:30 PST 2007

* G. Wade Johnson <gwadej at anomaly.orgq> [070211 16:07]:
> let's try a new approach.
>     my $metatags = q{};

At this I am stumped.

$metatags is a scalar variable; the name is plural, because (as is
apparent the concatenation assignment operator below) it is to contain
all the metatags to be relocated, with the newline character as the
delimiter.

q appears to be a quoting operator, with delimiters { and } .

So, in this line of code, it appears that metatags is declared and is
initialized to the null string.

I am puzzled as to why it is necessary to initialize the variable to
the null string, unless the concatenation operator fails when
attempting to concatenate a string to an undefined scalar.

I also am puzzled as to why the curly braces are used as delimiters
for the null string.

Finally, I am curious as to why it would not be sufficient merely to
write:

    my $metatags = ''

RLH