[pm-h] relocate metatags in hyperlatex-generated HTML

Russell L. Harris rlharris at oplink.net
Sat Feb 10 06:57:51 PST 2007

* G. Wade Johnson <gwadej at anomaly.org> [070209 23:28]:
> Now, let's get back to the quick and dirty solution.
>
> Let's start with some assumptions, let me know if I fail one of them.
>
> 1. The </title> end tag is not broken across a line boundary (pretty
> safe).
>
> 2. The 'keywords' metatag is all on one line.
>
> 3. There is nothing else on the line with the 'keywords' metatag.
>
> 4. The 'description' metatag is all on one line.
>
> 5. There is nothing else on the line with the 'description' metatag.
>
> If any of the above is not true, we will need to get a little more
> complicated.

The only assumptions which fail are numbers 2 and 4.  However, there
is a work-around.

The problem is that I am using XEmacs, and, when working on a LaTeX
document, I normally use "auto-fill" mode, which automatically breaks
the line and adds a newline character in the LaTeX source.  This
results in a metatag which typically spans two or more lines.

Interestingly, when composing the title tag, I can append the "%"
character to the end of the line wherever the line break happens to
fall, with the result that hyperlatex creates HTML source in which the
title tag is entirely on a single (very long) line.  But this ploy
does not work when composing a metatag.

The work-around: I can turn off auto-fill mode when composing a
metatag, and thereby create a metatag which is contained entirely on a
single line in the HTML source.  But if I forget to turn off auto-fill
mode, or if I happen to go back and modify the metatag when auto-fill
mode is in effect, then XEmacs breaks the line.

So, because of Murphy's law ("Undesirable things which can happen
almost invariably do."), it would be much better to provide for the
case in which a metatag spans two or more lines.

RLH