[pm-h] Satellite Locations

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 29 15:07:36 PST 2006

Todd Rinaldo wrote:

> Assuming everyone is cool with Fannin, I'm happy to work with someone down
> in Clear Lake if you'd like to attempt a remote session. I'm afraid video
> conferencing would be out for this session due to costs, but it may be
> possible to setup some sort of Net Meeting combined with a couple of
> Polycomms dialing each other.
>
> 1. Who has a room they could volunteer in Clear Lake?
> 2. Who has a Polycomm for audio?
>
> We would have to test the Net Meeting portion in advance. Firewalls may
> limit our ability to achieve our goals. If anyone has a Raindance or Webex
> account their company would be willing to donate to the cause, it's more
> likely we could get this to work.

Fannin is OK - not great.  16 miles one way from my
work.  23 miles back to my home.  40 miles round trip.
Let me know when the next meeting is and I'll try to
make it.

I know netmeeting isn't ideal, but I think it has merit.
I'm still working on U of H Clear Lake.  For the last
2 weeks I've waited until Friday afternoon to call them,
and they are not there.  I'll try again this week.

I think getting a school or high-tech business to
provide netmeeting resources might be the way to
go.  I'll ask U of H about this.  It sounds like you
know what you are talking about.  I encourage
you to pursue it.  I had to google "Polycomm" to
figure out what that is.  It does sound complicated
and expensive to me.

Of course, getting the presenter and meeting participants
to the recording location is the trick.  I doubt U or H
Clear Lake will be used more than a few times, but we
will see.

I'd be willing to help you test the Netmeeting when it
gets going.  At work we just recently put in Remote
Desktop.  It worked great for about 2 or 3 weeks,
but now works less than 5% of the time.  Almost
0% now.  It's funny that even today we can't seem
to make these things work.

Mike Flannigan
281-286-6869