[pm-h] YAPC -- Houston.

Jeremy Fluhmann jeremy at msc.tamu.edu
Tue May 30 07:53:14 PDT 2006

> It seems that several people have shown a willingness to research
> much of what we will need.

Here is some more information regarding information links, venue voting
weights, and sponsorship.  As I mentioned before, I'm going to try and
work on some price ranges for hotels around the possible venues.

Resource Links:
 YAPC site - http://www.yapc.org/
 Venue Requirements - http://www.yapc.org/venue-reqs.txt
 2006 Voting Details -
http://news.perlfoundation.org/2005/12/yapcna_voting_details.html
 YAPC Venue Weights and voting criteria - http://yapc.org/yapc-crit.txt

Chicago bid -
http://news.perlfoundation.org/2005/12/chicago_2006_yapc_bid.html#more
Boston bid -
http://news.perlfoundation.org/2005/12/boston_2006_yapc_bid.html#more
Vancouver bid -
http://news.perlfoundation.org/2005/12/vancouver_2006_yapc_bid.html#more

Here is a breakdown of the voting/venue weights.  The seven YAPC
committee members vote on these with, I believe, a 1 to 10 score.  I'm
guessing that the 1 to 10 score is multiplied by the points for each
area to get the final tally.

 Facilities (100)
 Internet Access from Conference Location (100)
 Internet Access from Accommodations (100)
 Affordable Dorms and Hotels (90)
 Estimated Costs (90)
 Public Transportation (60)
 Readily Accessible Location (Planes, Trains, & Automobiles) (50)
 New Location (50)
 Tourist Activities (50)
 Quality of Host Committee (40)

So, facilities, Internet access, and cost/affordability are the "top"
key point areas.

I know that sponsorship was mentioned earlier, so here is some of what I
could find out about previous YAPC sponsors.

Sponsorship:

 2006 in Chicago
  - LiveText
  - Big Nerd Ranch