[pm-h] YAPC -- Houston?

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sat May 27 08:26:44 PDT 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006 08:10:47 -0500
Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at earthlink.net> wrote:

> "G. Wade Johnson" wrote:
>
> > I've been doing a little research and talking to a few people and it looks
> > like we could actually pull this off.
> >
> > If we want to pursue attempting to bring YAPC::NA to Houston, we need some
> > research and ideas in the next few weeks to a month and some time spent
> > writing a proposal.
>
> Well, much to my surprise I've seen this thing take off with
> people I didn't even know were on the list.  I've seen
> some of that research done, so I'm guessing somebody
> has already started writing the proposal.

As far as I know we're still collecting information. But, you're right someone
needs to start on a proposal that we can start discussing....

> > We would need to evaluate venues for the conference itself and track down
> > some potential sponsors.
> >
> > It sounds like this could be handled by a handful of people in the early
> > stages. If YAPC did come here we would probably need more volunteers to
> > help at the conference with various facilitation and people directing
> > roles.
> >
> > We also probably want to choose a person to take the lead on the proposal
> > and organization. Anyone interested?
>
> Has this been done yet?

So far we haven't had anyone step forward to take the position. Jeremy has
stated that he would be willing if no one else wants to, but he did point out
that he might not be the best choice since he's not in town.

To reduce that problem it might be a good idea to have one person from
Houston.pm and Jeremy from Brazosvalley.pm kind of co-chair the proposal.

Any thoughts?

> > For those that are interested, should we try to coordinate this stuff on
> > this list or work through other channels (maybe a separate mailing list)?
> >
> > For those who are not interested in the workings of the conference, would
> > you be too bothered if conference business happened on the list and at the
> > regular meetings?
> >
> > G. Wade
>
> I think Houston is a fine place for the Perl conference.  From
> the little bit of research I did, they seem to hold these things
> in June every year.  Always on weekdays.  It cost about
> $85 to attend for 3 days.  I wish they had come to Houston
> 2-3 years ago when I was off work.

I have actually been surprised at what a good choice Houston would be. The
more we've looked at it the better it looks. Although, I'm not really sure
about June as it can be a bit warm around here for people who aren't used to
it.<shrug/>

If it doesn't have to be right, I can make it arbitrarily fast.
                                                    -- Rick Hoselton