[pm-h] YAPC -- Houston?

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Wed May 24 16:16:50 PDT 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:18:30 -0500
"Jeremy Fluhmann" <jeremy at msc.tamu.edu> wrote:

> > If we want to pursue attempting to bring YAPC::NA to Houston, we need
> some
> > research and ideas in the next few weeks to a month and some time
> spent
> > writing a proposal.
>
> Of course I'm all in if that's still an option. ;-)

Of course.<grin/>

> > We would need to evaluate venues for the conference itself and track
> down
> > some potential sponsors.
>
> Looking back on all of the previous YAPC::NA, it has always been held at
> a university.  As I mentioned to Wade off-list, I looked into the
> University of Houston as an option.  I have contact information for
> those in charge of housing (dorms; as per one of the preferred venue
> requirements) and the University Center complex.  I've also been
> contacted by their Conference Coordinator, Chris Arnold.  I have room
> sizes and prices, but it looks like finding enough of the right size
> rooms may prove difficult.  I've also been made aware by a few people
> (including my wife) that UofH may not be in the best of neighborhoods.

Based on the suggestions from TPF about the need for mass transit because
conference attendees probably won't be driving, my wife and I were talking
about either UofH Downtown or Rice. Both are near the MetroRail. (Which is
significantly nicer to ride than the busses.)

The MetroRail also runs near the museum district and theater district, giving
things to do outside the conference. I rememeber the neighborhood around UH
central campus and I'm not sure I would want that to be what people see of our
city. I like the campus, but just off campus can be a completely different
world.<shrug/>

> Regarding sponsorship, I know that there are several companies in
> Houston that have posted jobs on jobs.perl.org, as well as Monster (and
> other job sites).  I'm sure they would be interested.  Also, looking at
> Chicago's proposal, they wrote it showing the conference could pay for
> itself and still have some money left over (their numbers didn't include
> sponsorship at the time).  Including possible sponsorship early on could
> possibly be a HUGE plus on the bid proposal.

Good thought.

> > It sounds like this could be handled by a handful of people in the
> early
> > stages. If YAPC did come here we would probably need more volunteers
> > help at the conference with various facilitation and people directing
> > roles.
>
> I would think that working with several student organizations and their
> advisors that I would be able to find a good number of 'student'
> volunteers to help with things.  I've been told by one advisor that we
> could possibly have a pool of around 300 to choose from, if needed, just
> in his group alone.

That would solve our manpower problems during the conference.

> > We also probably want to choose a person to take the lead on the
> proposal
> > and organization. Anyone interested?
>
> Of course I would love to, but not being 'in' Houston would probably be
> a hindrance and I might not be the caliber needed to do it.  Consider me
> a definite failsafe. ;-)  Unless Wade or someone else takes it, I'm
> definitely there to take on the role.

Based on enthusiasm alone, I think you are a strong nominee.<grin/>

The user's going to pick dancing pigs over security every time.
                                                   -- Bruce Schneier