[pm-h] YAPC -- Houston?

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Wed May 24 05:07:08 PDT 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:31:16 -0500
"Christopher D. Lewis" <Lewis at Alumni.Duke.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> I don't know if it helps to organize YAPC events through a nonprofit
> organization, but if it would help the tax position of donors/
> sponsors or would improve the credibility of the project (or future
> projects) I can give some help setting up an organization and
> obtaining recognition as a tax exempt organization.  I'd guess an
> educational purpose might suit a local Perl organization.

Thanks for the offer, Chris. But, as I understand it, The Perl Foundation
provides 501.3c status for the conference. They also handle a bank account for
registration funds and such to go through the non-profit. I don't understand
the details myself, but having access to someone who does would be a major
comfort.

> Among the shoestring charities I've helped in this way is the Houston
> Underwater Hockey Trust, which has been listed in IRS Pub. 78 for
> some time now.  My code might not be much to look at, but my law
> license still works :-)

Sounds like a useful thing to have.<grin/>

> Let me know if there's interest.  I'd need to know who to contact
> about matters of internal organization;  and it might be useful for
> some thinking to be done along those lines anyway as this is being
> set up.  Benefits of tax exempt status include organizational ability
> to buy sales-tax free;  property ownership without county property
> taxes;  and the ability to be cash positive on YAPC::Houston without
> giving anybody a nasty federal income tax bill.

If it looks like we can put together a proposal, it might be helpful if you
could talk with the appropriate people with TPF to make sure we've got all our
bases covered in that area.

DON'T PANIC! I'm a trained professional, and far more qualified to panic in
this situation than you are.