[pm-h] YAPC -- Houston?

Christopher D. Lewis Lewis at Alumni.Duke.edu
Tue May 23 21:31:16 PDT 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 8:38 PM, G. Wade Johnson wrote:

> I've been doing a little research and talking to a few people and
> it looks
> like we could actually pull this off.
>
> If we want to pursue attempting to bring YAPC::NA to Houston, we
> need some
> research and ideas in the next few weeks to a month and some time
> spent
> writing a proposal.
>
> We would need to evaluate venues for the conference itself and
> track down
> some potential sponsors.
>
> It sounds like this could be handled by a handful of people in the
> early
> stages. If YAPC did come here we would probably need more
> volunteers to help
> at the conference with various facilitation and people directing
> roles.
>
> We also probably want to choose a person to take the lead on the
> proposal and
> organization. Anyone interested?

I don't know if it helps to organize YAPC events through a nonprofit
organization, but if it would help the tax position of donors/
sponsors or would improve the credibility of the project (or future
projects) I can give some help setting up an organization and
obtaining recognition as a tax exempt organization.  I'd guess an
educational purpose might suit a local Perl organization.

Among the shoestring charities I've helped in this way is the Houston
Underwater Hockey Trust, which has been listed in IRS Pub. 78 for
some time now.  My code might not be much to look at, but my law
license still works :-)

Let me know if there's interest.  I'd need to know who to contact
about matters of internal organization;  and it might be useful for
some thinking to be done along those lines anyway as this is being
set up.  Benefits of tax exempt status include organizational ability
to buy sales-tax free;  property ownership without county property
taxes;  and the ability to be cash positive on YAPC::Houston without
giving anybody a nasty federal income tax bill.

Best regards,
	Chris