[pm-h] Job postings on Houston.pm

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Tue May 23 18:30:56 PDT 2006

Yesterday, a consulting firm posted a job listing on the mailing list after
requesting an account on the list.

In the past, all job listings have come from people who contacted someone on
the list and asked if the person would post for them. This allowed at least
one level of filter to stop the "You can make money at home" type postings. I
think we have always forwarded job listings that we received, since none were
out of line.

I have also followed the policy of always approving anyone who requests to
join the list.

Although this posting was probably reasonable for the list, it does point out
the fact that we have been very trusting.

Do you (the members) have any problems with postings of this kind?

If anyone feels this is a problem, we can try to take measures. If you feel
that it is a useful service, I can encourage other recruiters or consulting
firms when they contact me off-list.

Any thoughts?
The purpose of software engineering is to control complexity, not to create
it.                                                   -- Pamela Zave