[pm-h] A potential "adventure" for the group

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sat May 20 22:20:17 PDT 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006 14:28:47 -0500
Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at earthlink.net> wrote:

[snip]

> I think it is a great idea.  I can't say I'm going to help with
> the effort much, but I hope it happens.  Wouldn't we need
> to amass some funds to accomplish this?  Where is that
> going to come from?

According to the information on the YAPC website about this year's proposal,
Chicago worked out the numbers assuming a given registration fee. Presumably,
this was to show that it could work even without external funding. The YAPC
site (http://www.yapcchicago.org/) also shows several corporate sponsors that
are helping in various ways.

If the group shows enough interest to make it worthwhile, we can probably
track down a few companies in Houston that would be willing to sponsor in some
way. (Maybe some of us work for companies that would be interested?)

At the moment, we seem to have less than a dozen people showing interest. The
mailing list has 61 email addresses listed. If the ones that have responded
are the only ones interested, this could be quite a bit of work for those
few people. With more interest, the load would be easier.

I honestly don't know how much work we, as the "hosting" group, would need
to do. It could range from providing information to the Perl Foundation on the
specific venues and helping to track down corporate sponsors, all the way to
running the conference itself. We currently have some people who have
volunteered to track down some of this information.

Personally, I would love to see YAPC come here. I would like to be able to
show the Perl community that Houston is interested in Perl. I'd also like to
show Houston companies some of the Perl community in Houston and outside it.

Reality is just a convenient measure of complexity.
                                                   -- Alvy Ray Smith