[pm-h] A potential "adventure" for the group

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Wed May 10 19:30:58 PDT 2006

A couple of days ago, I received email from the leader of the bazosvalley.pm
group asking if we would be interested in partnering on a big project. Jeremy
suggested that we put in a proposal for bringing YAPC::NA (Yet Another Perl
Conference: North America) to Houston in 2007.

This year YAPC::NA is in Chicago. There is quite a bit of information about
the bid process and Chicago's proposal on-line. If the group is interested,
I'll post links and information on our website where everyone has access.

This would be an opportunity to get some of the big names in Perl here where
we can see them. It would also be an opportunity to go to one of these
conferences without travel (for those who don't like to travel). It's also a
way to try to increase interest in Perl around our city.

All that being said, I don't think it is reasonable for one or two people to
jump on this and try to make it happen. This should be a group effort. I'd
hate to get YAPC::NA to come here and have the Perl community come to the
conclusion that Houston doesn't have any people interested in the language.

So the question for the group is:

Are we ready and willing to take up the challenge?

If so, we can ask for volunteers to handle different parts of the research. I
know someone who has offered her writing skills to help us with a polished
proposal (she can write, unlike many of us and has over a decade of experience
with conferences). She's willing to provide anything from completely writing
the proposal to editing a proposal that we author.

What do you say, Houston.pm? Do we want to do this?

Why do your people ask if someone's ready right before you are going to do
something massively unwise?        -- Delenn - "The War without End"