[pm-h] Inline::C and libusb

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sat Jan 14 14:50:18 PST 2006

In doing the writeup on the meeting, I took a little time to look back at the
Inline::C docs. I was hoping to get a handle on some of the problems we were
having.

It turns out that we can probably pass pointers to structures around with a
little bit of typemap magic. I haven't gotten far enough to be sure of all of
the details, but essentially, typemaps are a way to tell XS and Inline::C how
to map a data type to its Perl equivalent.

The TYPEMAPS configuration option allows us to add to the typemap.

Additionally, there's an AUTOWRAP option that handles parsing simple
declarations without need for functions. Unfortunately, Inline::C does not
support reading the header files and doing the mapping for us. That is
apparently supported in some of the other languages, but not in C.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.