[pm-h] Perl libusb interface

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Jan 12 18:13:11 PST 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:31:02 -0600 (CST)
Paul Archer <tigger at io.com> wrote:

> Sounds like a good idea to me!
>
> Paul
>
> PS How do you write a test suite for something like that?

It's pretty hard to write a generic test suite for a piece of hardware that
someone else doesn't have. One thing that would be possible is to build a
replacement for the libusb library that you use during testing to verify that
your interface with the library works.

The rest of what the Perl module does is setting up and tearing down calls to
the library.

G. Wade

> 6:57pm, G. Wade Johnson wrote:
>
> > I was thinking about it on the way to work this morning and had a somewhat
> > different idea. Device::USB seems to be somewhat higher-level than libusb
> > in the one method he has implemented.
> >
> > So, I was thinking we could steal an approach from the Perl XML community.
> > How about we build Device::USB::LibUSB that is a relatively thin wrapper
> > over libusb. Then, we can implement a higher-level interface in
> > Device::USB.
> >
> > If another library turns out to be better than libusb, Device::USB could
> > be ported to that library instead.
> >
> > What does everyone think?
> >
> > G. Wade
> >
> > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:12:26 -0600 (CST)
> > Paul Archer <tigger at io.com> wrote:

> >> Well, obviously I'm interested. 8-)

> >only>> provides an function to list devices.

> >so,>> we could contact the author of Device::USB to find out if he would be
> >>>
> >> I talked to [mumble] about adding to Device::USB. He was all for it, and
> >> very enthusiastic. I didn't talk about ownership, though.
> >>
> >> Paul

> >--> Actual listing in the TV section of the Marin (CA) Independent-Journal:
> >> Movie "The Wizard of Oz": Transported to a surreal landscape, a young
> >girl> kills the first woman she meets, then teams up with three complete
> >strangers>
> >> to kill again.

> > --
> > I've been living on the edge too long, where the winds of limbo roar.
> >                      -- "Veteran of Psychic Wars", Blue Oyster Cult

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
                                                       -- Mark Twain