[pm-h] Projects

Matt Sisk sisk at mojotoad.com
Mon Feb 27 08:45:20 PST 2006

I wouldn't call it a thoroughly thought-out idea. :) More of a brainstorm after
I'd just returned from a ride along Buffalo Bayou.

My first thought was a bat-cam. Not everyone knows it, but there's a bat colony
residing beneath the Waugh St. bridge over the bayou. I don't know if it's even
possible to catch footage of quick airborne critters such as bats using web-cam
technology, but it struck me as interesting to try (whether it be 'see the
flock leave at dusk' or a macro-view up in the roost somewhere).

But once I started thinking about that, I started thinking about all the other
interesting bayou watching that could be done -- flood stages, flotsam/jetsam
watch, dog-parks, festivals, etc.

Anyway -- I think it was a valid observation that this sort of thing would cost
money for hardware. Also, a survey of the bayou for open wireless access points
would be of use. (on that note, does anyone know if the Houston wireless group
has any info on whether Houston has plans to offer wireless in city parks like
they do in Austin?)

Also, it's not necessarily perl related. It could easily be, but doesn't have to
be. :)

Cheers,
Matt