[pm-h] LibUSB interface question

Paul Archer tigger at io.com
Fri Feb 24 19:03:41 PST 2006

6:59am, Mike Flannigan wrote:

>> Wayne suggested a language route:
>> $ delcomVI
>>> red on
>>> blue flash
>>> green flash on:5 off:2 syncoffset:3
>>> buzzer on repeat:3
>>
>> or
>> $ delcomVI 'red on' blue flash' 'green flash on:5 off:2 syncoffset:3' 'buzzer on repeat:3'
>>
>> I thought maybe a compromise would be good:
>>
>> delcomVI --red,on --blue,flash --green,flash,on=5,off=2,syncoffset=3 --buzzer,on,repeat=3
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Paul
>
> Well, I'm not sure how often somebody will be typing
> these commands, or how many different combinations
> there are, but I have 3 thoughts:
>
> 1)
> If this were a production environment and there was a
> very limited number of normal options used, I'd want to
> pick the options from a list - option 1-25; delcom 17,
> or whatever.

Hmm...not very intuitive. I like being able to figure out what something
does without having to go back to the docs.

> 2)
> If I had to type this out a bunch, I'd want something like
> this:
> r=red
> b=blue
> +=on
> -=off
> *=flash
> z=buzzer
> r=repeat
> s=sync
> c=gsync?
>
> delcom r+ b* g*5,2 c3 s z+ zr3

Very 'setfacl'. This might work as a shortened form, just like with setfacl,
where you can say u:joe:6, or user:joe:rw-

> 3)
> If I had to make this user friendly for a bunch of minimally
> trained people, then your interface or 1) above would
> be preferable.

Well, I suspect that this is going to be written into and called from
scripts mostly, so clarity is probably preferable over brevity (although I
do like the 'setfacl' option).

Paul