[pm-h] Sudoku

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sat Feb 11 07:34:58 PST 2006

Kind of sounds like the beginnings of an algorithm.

There's probably lots of approaches. Does anyone else think this would be an
interesting group project?

G. Wade

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:56:32 -0600 (CST)
Paul Archer <tigger at io.com> wrote:

> Yesterday, Mike Flannigan wrote:
>

> > I just looked that thing up.  This site gives a simple
> > explanation:
> > http://www.sudoku.com/
> >
> > I haven't tried it yet, but it looks pretty easy to me.
> > I can't wait to try it.  Sometimes I'm pretty good
> > at this kind of thing - sometimes not.
> >
> > It would be interesting to see how many possible
> > solutions there are from a particular starting point.
> > I suspect that would be a long running program -
> > perhaps days, months, or weeks.  Maybe a candidate
> > for parallel processing?
> >

> I doubt it would take that long. A human can solve even a hard one in less
> than 20 minutes. Check out www.websudoku.com to play some.
>
> I figure the easiest way to solve a puzzle (from a programmatic point of
> view) is to mark all the possibilities for each square. Then, for the
> squares that only have one possibility, mark them as final. Then remove that
>
> number from the other squares. Repeat as necessary.
>
> Paul
>

> > Mike
> >

> > Paul Archer wrote:
> >
> >> Like a bunch of people, I'm getting hooked on Sudoku puzzles. While I
> >like> to solve them myself, I think it'd be a good challenge to build a
> >solver. I> know a few people have done them, but it might be fun to work on
> >at a> meeting...
> >>
> >> Paul

Cannot say. Saying I would know, do not know, so cannot say.
                                  -- Zathras - "The War without End"