[pm-h] Book Recommendations

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Sep 8 05:03:27 PDT 2005

Since I asked about Perl book recommendations, I figured I'd send mine.

Programming Perl
  - The master reference. Authoritative, but not good to learn from.

Perl Cookbook
  - Great book to keep in arm's reach. Solutions to problems with
    explanations. You can learn a lot about Perl by reading the multiple
    solutions to particular problems.

Mastering Regular Expressions
  - Not a Perl-only book, but very handy none-the-less.

Learning Perl
  - Good initial book on Perl (at least the first three editions were, I
    haven't read the fourth edition).

Effective Perl Programming
  - 60 Items that will improve your Perl programming.

Advanced Perl Programming
  - The first edition is getting a little old, but it does cover some useful
    techniques. I haven't seen the second edition, yet.

I guess that would be my top 6 general Perl books. The others are more
specific.

The three principal virtues of a programmer are Laziness, Impatience, and
Hubris.                                                -- Larry Wall