[pm-h] Prima

Paul Archer tigger at io.com
Sat Oct 1 19:33:12 PDT 2005

I've just run across a GUI toolkit called Prima (www.prima.eu.org). I was
wondering if anyone had evaluated/used it. I haven't used a GUI toolkit
before, so I don't know how it compares to Perl/TK, etc. What I do know is
that it was written specifically for Perl, and for what I want (display of
images) it's pretty fast.

One downside that I've noticed is that the documentation isn't that good
(from a "how to program in Prima" perspective). There is very extensive
documentation online, but it is all APIs--no "here's how to use this," or
screenshots of different widgets. That's a downside (at least if you're new
to GUI programming), but I think it could also have an upside. We've been
talking about giving back to the community. If we agree that it's a decent
toolkit (Wade, I'm counting on you here), then maybe we could contribute to
the docs. I was thinking about taking the outline of the O'Reilly "Learning
Perl/Tk" book and filling it in as "Learning Prima."

Paul