[HoustonTx.pm] HoustonTx.pm (houston.pm) Meetup

houston-admin at mail.pm.org houston-admin at mail.pm.org
Wed Mar 5 12:12:20 CST 2003

>My web page is at Hosting Matters
>(www.hostmatters.com); they run Linux and
>Apache. I don't have a fixed IP address at home, so I
>can't host it myself. (Also, given all the DoS
attacks >I hear about, I prefer having the security
done by >someone who, unlike me, knows what they're
doing.)
I looked at the web site and it looks good.  One thing
that I would require though is complete access rights
to the WebServer configuration.  Since I am certain
that they won't do that, then I am going to have to
have one in my home.  All houston.pm.org website
developers are going to have ssh access to the
development machine.

>I use Movable Type (www.movabletype.org) to run a
>"blog" (web log) on my site; it works reliably, and
is >easier to set up and administer than Slash or
>PHP-Nuke. We might want to set up Houston.pm's web
>page as a blog. Is Houston.pm.org running on your own
>machine?
I have only looked at this for a little bit and it
looks great! This is something to keep in mind when we
start designing the website.

>I do keep a Linux system at home (Red Hat 8) with a
>web server on it (Apache) that I use for learning and
 >experimentation. It's also my primary web browsing
and >email client.
I have a Linux Red Hat 8 system as well.  This isn't
going to be the webserver though.  I will be buying a
new Dell workstation and installing Red Hat 8 on it.

>I'm guessing that's more than you wanted to know,
>probably?
Actually no, I love information.

Another thing that I have thought of.  I want to use
HTML::Mason as much as possible.  For any type of Data
processing modules that we may need, I'd like to
create our own perl modules to satisfy the
requirements. Something like PM::Houston::Module etc.