[HoustonTx.pm] HoustonTx.pm (houston.pm) Meetup

houston-admin at mail.pm.org houston-admin at mail.pm.org
Wed Mar 5 01:11:53 CST 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 12:48 pm, houston-admin at mail.pm.org wrote:
> What platform (Windows/Linux/Solris) are you running
> Kevin?  Also what WebServer as well?
>
> I am about to buy a new Dell that I will dedicate to
> WebDevelopment and Serving soon.  It would be nice to
> have a 'Production' and a 'Development' WebServer.
>
> Kristofer.

My web page is at Hosting Matters (www.hostmatters.com); they run Linux and
Apache. I don't have a fixed IP address at home, so I can't host it myself.
(Also, given all the DoS attacks I hear about, I prefer having the security
done by someone who, unlike me, knows what they're doing.)

I use Movable Type (www.movabletype.org) to run a "blog" (web log) on my site;
it works reliably, and is easier to set up and administer than Slash or
PHP-Nuke. We might want to set up Houston.pm's web page as a blog. Is
Houston.pm.org running on your own machine?

I do keep a Linux system at home (Red Hat 8) with a web server on it (Apache)
that I use for learning and experimentation. It's also my primary web
browsing and email client.

I'm guessing that's more than you wanted to know, probably?

--
Kevin Shaum   --   kevin at shaum.com   --   http://lazypundit.com/