[HoustonTx.pm] Perl/Unix contract in Houston

houston at mail.pm.org houston at mail.pm.org
Thu Aug 7 11:02:49 CDT 2003

Ditto. And in the spirit of keeping the board from becoming job postings only,
here's a little thingie I recently ran across to slurp a file into a scalar:

my $file_contents=do {local(@ARGV,$/)=$filename; <>};

Anyone care to pick it apart and describe what it's doing? Better yet, can
anyone golf it (aside from making the names shorter)?

Vince

houston at mail.pm.org wrote:
> Keep the jobs coming :) I already have a fine job, but I also enjoy
> seeing what's out there. However, I'd hate to see this site turned into
> a job board.
>
> -Will

----------
The CIA convened an open panel of scientists in January to discuss
potential terrorist uses of life-science research, and the panel
concluded that, despite the risks, openness in scientific study was
absolutely crucial; in April, the CIA suppressed the panel's
conclusions on openness as classified. And in March, U.S. Supreme
Court Justice Antonin Scalia accepted an award by the Cleveland
City Club for his contributions to freedom of speech, which Scalia
said he would be glad to accept at the club's meeting provided no
television or radio coverage was allowed.
[Federation of American Scientists Secrecy News, 4-2-03]
[CNN, 3-19-03]

http://www.newsoftheweird.com/