[HoustonTx.pm] Perl programming in Houston

houston-admin at mail.pm.org houston-admin at mail.pm.org
Fri Dec 13 19:46:02 CST 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:23:54 -0600
houston-admin at mail.pm.org wrote:

> I haven't noticed much traffic on this list lately, so I thought I'd
> attempt some discussion.
>
> I. What has been your general experience with getting projects
>    started using Perl?

Since I'm not really a programmer, I just do it! 8-) I'm a research
geophysicist. However, we do now distribute an official copy of
perl and perl/Tk worldwide (along with other open source favorites, Tcl,
gcc, ImageMagick, vim, etc).

> II. What other languages do you program in besides Perl and why?

c/c++ (for numerical calculations)
fortran
PostScript (one of my CPAN contributions)
Tcl/Tk
SAS
and I won't go into history - though I did use Basic 32 years ago!

| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
| alan at ajackson.org          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,         |
| www.ajackson.org           | Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand |
| Houston, Texas             | And Eternity in an hour. - Blake       |