[HoustonTx.pm] Perl programming in Houston

houston-admin at mail.pm.org houston-admin at mail.pm.org
Wed Dec 11 20:23:54 CST 2002

I haven't noticed much traffic on this list lately, so I thought I'd
attempt some discussion.

I. What has been your general experience with getting projects
   started using Perl?

I've encountered more than a bit of reservation on two counts:
(neither is technical)

  1. "Perl is free, so it doesn't have any support."
  2. "We'll never find any Perl programmers to maintain it. But, we
      can always find qw/Java C++ .Net VisualBasic/ programmers."

I've been able to point to various support systems around the Net to
answer #1. But, #2 has been harder. I'm hoping this list will help in
that direction.

II. What other languages do you program in besides Perl and why?

 1. C++   - sometimes I need to work at a lower level than Perl.
 2. Forth - my former employer used it extensively.
 3. Java  - requested for an project.

That which does not kill me makes me stranger.           -- Larry Wall