[Hartford-pm] Help using LWP to change password Q's?

Bob Mariotti r.mariotti at financialdatacorp.com
Tue Aug 24 09:42:32 CDT 2004

Fellow mongers;

I have a mental block!  I just cannot seem to get this logic to an
understandable point.  Therefore, I was hoping that some of you could
explain the process somewhat.

I have several reasonably complex scripts that use LWP to interact with
a remote secured web site.  Works great and reliably.  Now the remote
service site has implemented expiring passwords requiring the clients
(my script) to change passwords periodically before its next access.

Simple I'd say!  So I created a relatively short script to do just that.

Here's where my brain fry comes in:

Q: How does the "submit" button interrelate with the "next" URL?

Example:

Initial https connect to specified page :
https://xxx.yyy.com/ssp/jsp/blah.jsp

LWP received the resulting page successfully which contains a form that
has fields for username, current password, new password, new password
again.  The usual stuff.

By examining the received HTML code I determined the fieldnames used
above so that I could load them on my next POST operation.  I also noted
that on the FORM statement the value of the ACTION parameter was
"ABC123" with NO extension.   Also, the SUBMIT tag has an onClick
function similar to this:  "onClick="return subrname()".

I assume that if the LWP POST operation is performed it emulates someone
clicking on the SUBMIT button.  The subroutine is a javascript editing
routine that issues an alert(msg) and returns false or true.

Assuming the response is true... must the programmer alter the URL for
the POST operation at all?  Or will LWP and/or HTTP take care of
manipulating the URL in combination with the ACTION value?

I'm sorry for the somewhat basic basis for this query but sometimes the
gray cells don't work as well as they should.

Thanks for ANY help and/or advice anyone can supply (please - no
harassing?).

Bob - Hartford PM
|Bob Mariotti   | Financial DataCorp     |
|Exec V.P.      | 703 Hebron Avenue      |
|(860) 657-8983 | Glastonbury, CT 06033  |
|email: r.mariotti at financialdatacorp.com |
|Registered Linux User #320395           |