[Hardware-pm] pure hardware question...

Zachary Zebrowski zak.zebrowski at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 09:54:23 PDT 2013

 Hi All,

I'm building an autonmous boat for fun, to float across the potomac
and back (possibly). The boat is a FL style "air boat". It's a
hodgepoge, but it mostly works. (See
http://www.flickr.com/photos/japharl/8652539722/in/photostream ). I
plan to use perl (Anyevent) to handle stuff, on a pi.

At this point, I have most of the componets identified, but I need
help with one particular aspect.

The adruino code is simple.  I get a bearing via a magnetic compass,
and that works. I have a mini servo that turns port, starbord,
straight ahead, and that works. I then turn on a relay (via pin 13) to
turn on the fan, which will propel the boat across the water. That
works, *but*, the servo does not maintain the position set in the
second step. At this point, the pin 13 circut goes straight to the
relay and then to ground...  Would a resister help?  Alternatively, I
could just raise the pin via the pi, but I'm not sure if the relay
would work with 3v...

Any suggestions how to proceed / debug this project?

Thanks,

Zak