[hn.pm] on dealing with arguments

Vern Weitzel vern.weitzel at undp.org
Wed Jul 14 17:05:08 CDT 2004

Sorry everyone. I've been offline for a couple days with
a technical problem.

For the moment I would like to say something for a neutral
approach to this event. The question for me is not the
differences among free and busniss or hackers and others
but how we can present to the broad community in Viet Nam
our common interests.

I am very concerned that a poor, unified presentation will
make the open source movement seem to be a joke or worse to
'users' and, critically, to decision makers.

Our internal differences are important of course, and these
are things we need to discuss in a rational manner. There are,
for instance good reasons why, in the present environment in
viet Nam, the profiting from open source makes sense. Some of
us may not like that given our own background, but we need
to appreciate the dynamics! we need to understand clearly
what is happening. And not fall into useless argument that
hurts everyone.

I am not sure what else I can do to help. I will try to see
what my leaders say. But at a general level, we have much
more to gain by 1) collaborating through our strengths and
2) carefully analysing the issues make our OS community
complex.

More later I hope, Vern

--
Vern Weitzel (Mr.), Webmanager