[Hamburg.pm] An interesting problem involving 'select'

Alberto Dri alberto_dri at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 26 14:23:40 PDT 2005

Dear Perl User

I would appreciate to have your help on an interesting problem
that is puzzling me.

The attached programs do the following:

test_write.pl writes a line on a file named aaa.txt every
second.  test_write.pl shall be started before test_read_3.pl.

test_read_3.pl opens the file aaa.txt, goes to its end with seek
[because I am interested only in the changes made to aaa.txt],
and stays there in a loop, waiting for a 'select' to detect when
test_write.pl writes into the file.

The interesting aspect about these programs is that they work on

1. Linux with gnu perl
2. Windows XP with Cygwin perl

but do not work on Windows XP with Active Perl.

Question: Is this a bug of Active Perl?

or am I making a programming mistake so that my program is not
as portable as it should be?

Your comments and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Alberto

// Alberto Dri       E-mail: alberto_dri at yahoo.com