[Groningen-pm] We krijgen toch een dev-room bij Fosdem. Emergency Call for Papers!

Wendy gronpm at duivel.nl
Fri Jan 25 12:39:33 PST 2013

Hoi allemaal,
Het is laat dag, maar we moeten het toch proberen om onze eer te redden.  :-)
Dus wil je een presentatie geven in  Brussel,
stuur mij en/of Claudio dan een voorstel.
Per omgaande svp.
Dank!
Groetjes,
Wendy

========

Dear Perl Mongers,

I have to make this short and simple.
Therefore most of this email is copied from last year's
Call for Speakers.

What?  Fosdem, Brussels, 2 & 3 february 2013
https://fosdem.org/2013/

Where? Free University Brussels, Campus Solbosh:
https://fosdem.org/2013/practical/transportation/

Why so late?
Because our dev-room request was denied at first.
They gave it to another programming language community.
Now another community could not fill their dev-room.
We are Perl, so we jumped in and we asked for this.
We got it.  Now we have to fill it.

So be quick and send in your presentation proposal.

To:
Claudio Ramirez (nxadm, email: padre.claudio at apt-get.be)
and
Wendy van Dijk (email: nl.pm at wendy.org).

Thank you.  Hope to meet you all in Brussels.

Copied and adapted from last year's Call for Speakers:

Please forward to your Perl contacts.

Taking place in the beautiful city of Brussels (Belgium), FOSDEM is
the biggest free and non-commercial European event organized by and
for the community. Its goal is to provide Free and Open Source
developers a place to meet (see http://fosdem.org/2013/).

Over the last years the Perl community had an increasing presence at
FOSDEM. Over the last two years we managed to have both a booth and
a dev-room. We collected an impressive positive return and wish to
renew the experience.

Our dev-room request for this upcoming edition (2013) was at first
rejected, in favor of another programming language community.
So we would only have a booth.  But another open source community
could not fill their dev-room and we hastily requested it for
the Perl-community.  Yesterday we got approval.

The stand request is approved some time ago.  The stand will be open
throughout the weekend. The dev-room event will take place Saturday,
February 2nd 2013 , between 11:00 and 19:00, in room AW.126.
The room itself has 75 seats, WIFI and a VGA projector.

This environment, being a university classroom with raised seats,
lends itself perfectly for talks. This is a wonderful opportunity to
present your Perl project ­big and small­ or talk about subjects you
care about. We are looking for a variety of subjects on all levels:
starter and advanced, generic and specialized, core internals and
CPAN. We have 8 hours time, so we have the flexibility of using
different time formats: e.g. talks of 20 minutes, more classic talks
of 40 minutes or longer (although we learned from experience that
longer talks should be split into slices of 20 or 40 minutes).

Please don't doubt to send a proposal (information about yourself,
subject, short description and time needed). If you have several
subjects you are enthusiastic to talk about please send alternative
proposals. In the case more than one talk is not selected, your
proposal will help us when putting the schedule together and even have
backup talks in case someone cancels. Also mention your time
constraints (if any).

Please send your talk proposal by e-mail to the address below as soon
as you read this.  You will receive an answer within 2 days.
We will submit a definitive schedule on Sunday 2013-01-27
to the FOSDEM organizers.

Please forward / distribute this call as wide as possible (certainly to
your local mongers).

Claudio Ramirez (nxadm, email: padre.claudio at apt-get.be)
and
Wendy van Dijk (email: nl.pm at wendy.org).

NB1: This is a community event without sponsoring. We don't have the
means to pay for your trip and time. If you want to sponsor part of
the event, please feel free to contact us.

NB2: We'll also appreciate volunteers, booth and dev-room. Please tell
us your availabilities so we can also prepare a planning for this.