[Groningen-pm] Interview met Linux kernel developer over desktop

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Sat Aug 18 07:07:28 PDT 2007

Hallo,

Ik had het bij de Perl Mongers over een interview met een kernel
developer die er mee stopte omdat er zo weinig aandacht voor de desktop
is.  Dit is de link:  http://apcmag.com/6735/interview_con_kolivas

Hieronder een stukje uit het interview

Groet,
Paul.

-----------------
The developers were all developing for something that wasn't the
desktop. They had all been employed by big name manufacturers who
couldn't care less about the desktop (and still don't) but want their
last 1% on their database benchmark or throughput benchmark or whatever.

Linux had won. We were now the biggest competition in the server and
database market out there and all the big names cared about Linux. Money
was pouring into development from all these big names into developing
Linux's performance in these areas.

The users had lost. The desktop PC, for which linux started out as being
development for, had fallen by the wayside. Performance, as home desktop
users understand performance, was gone. Worse yet, there was no way to
quantify it, and the developers couldn't care if we couldn't prove it.
The one place I found some performance was to be gained on the desktop
(the kernel) was now doing the opposite.