[grand-rapids-pm-list] Perlmongers Meeting Friday June 29

Ed Eddington Ed.Eddington at priorityhealth.com
Mon Jun 25 09:24:45 PDT 2007

The meeting is ON!

The June Perlmongers meeting will take place this Friday at Priority Health during lunchtime. We will be holding a discussion on "Large-Scale Development and Design Patterns". Hope to see you there. Below are details of the meeting. I have also included some info on the upcoming release of Perl (5.10), and also a Perl Puzzle that Perl coders of any skill level can solve to win a book.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Friday, May 25 @ 11:30AM - 1:00PM
Priority Health Conference Center
3111 Leonard St NE - Grand Rapids MI 49525
(Just west of intersection of Leonard & E. Beltline. See map on website.)

Topic: Large-Scale Development / Design Patterns

"Perl has the distinct pleasure of being a very flexible language, making
small projects very easy to start.  That same flexibility quickly becomes a
double-edged sword, though, as projects grow, features get added, and bugs
get fixed.  It doesn't take long to end up with a steaming pile of code that
is difficult to test, maintain, or extend.

Fortunately there are ways to avoid that!  Join us as we discuss different
ways to organize your Perl code, use design patterns, and even write tests
to preserve your sanity!  Come ready to ask questions and share your own
experience and we'll try to ease your pain."

Jason Porritt will facilitate the discussion.

Please RSVP for free pizza lunch (donated by Priority Health).

Upcoming 2007 Events (tentative):
July: Jonathan Rockaway: Catalyst
August: Andy Lester: Things you may not know about Perl
September: Matt Heusser: Intro to Perl

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Perl 5.10

Here's some news about the upcoming release of Perl 5.10. If you want to browse "what's new" compared to your current Perl version, check out the "delta" pod for each version.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/05/soon_a_perl_with_new_switches_1.html

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Perl Puzzle

Here's a pretty basic problem. We need to add line numbers to each line of a text file. We need to turn this:

This text file
may have hundreds
of lines of text

...into this:

1 This text file
2 may have hundreds
3 of lines of text

Write a quick Perl script to accomplish this. Time can be money, so the first correct response will win their choice of book from our Library. Also, creativity counts, so a free book will also go to the person whose script accomplishes this with the fewest bytes of code (don't bother with 'use strict;' here!). Your script should accept a filename as a parameter and modify the file in place. Please email your code to me (not the list) by Thursday 5PM. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Ed Eddington
President GR Perlmongers
email: ed.eddington at priorityhealth.com